Remodeling Vs Moving
Are you in the middle of deciding whether you should remodel or buy a new home? A lot of people ask, “What does remodeling a house mean?” and it means to change the structure of an existing property, whereas moving is when you move to a new property. It might be a hard decision to make, because both of them have their pros and cons. To find out which one is best for you, it’s important to take a look the pros and cons for remodeling.
Remodeling Pros and Cons
- Choose Exactly What You Want: With remodeling, you can decide how big you want a particular room to big, which walls will come down, and ultimately how you want your home to look.
- Don’t Have to Leave Your Neighborhood: If you love the school district or your neighbors, then you don’t have to leave if you consider remodeling.
- Avoid Moving Costs: When you remodel your home you don’t have to worry about paying movers, realtors, or fees that involve moving.
- Home Equity Pays for Remodel: Do you have a home equity? If so, you could use a home equity loan to pay for your home’s remodel.
- Remodeling is Expensive: Remodeling is pretty expensive and there can be a lot of hidden or surprise expenses that pop up.
- It Can Be Tedious: With remodeling you are going to have to deal with many people like contractors, plumbers, electricians, and more as well as deal with construction, as well as zoning and building codes for a at least a few months if not longer.
- May Not Increase Home Value: You might be a lot of money into your remodeling project, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to offer a full ROI.
- Might Not Fit Your Needs: If your purpose to remodel your home is to make it smaller, then it’s probably not going to be worth it.
Based on these pros and cons, you will need to decide if moving or remodeling is best for you and your family.
Remodeling Vs Renovation
When we think of the words remodeling and renovation, we typically think that they mean the same thing. However, renovations and remodeling are not the same type of service. So, what is the difference between a renovation and remodel? Renovations are when you are restoring or repairing various areas of your home. For example, repairing wooden floors, removing wallpaper and adding new paint. Renovations can be pretty simple or drastic depending on the upkeep of the home. What does remodeling include? Remodeling a home means you are changing the actual structure of a property. This can include knocking down walls to make a room bigger or adding onto a home. A home remodel will most likely transform the look of your house.
Is It Cheaper to Rebuild Or Remodel?
There is another option that you can choose when it comes to housing. Moving is a popular choice, but you can also consider rebuilding your home from the ground up. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. If you decide to tear your home down and rebuild it, you have to realize this is a bigger project than remodeling and moving combined. However, rebuilding a home means that it fixes any structural issues that your house might have had. If you choose to sell your home at some point, rebuilding is also beneficial because everything is 100% brand new. When it comes to a home remodel, you can somewhat control how much money you put into this particular project. Another great thing is that you can keep some structural elements of your house that you love and this type of project is not going to take as long as a whole rebuild. When it comes to which is cheaper, remodeling wins hands down.
What Remodeling Increase Home Value
If you are looking to increase your home’s value with a remodel, you might be wondering what types of remodeling will be best. The most common and popular rooms that people remodel are the kitchen and bathroom and with good reason. Both of these areas are used a lot in homes, so its worth investing money to change their appearance. Another thing that is good is if you change the focus of a room. For example if you have a basement or attic and turn it into a whole new room, that can really increase the value of your property. In terms of what you can do to change the outside of your home, adding a really cool patio, balcony, or deck can really amp up the value of your residence.
What Is Considered a Major Remodel?
Remodeling Where to Start
A major remodel would be if you were adding a new room or multiple rooms or you were gutting a room or multple rooms. If you are thinking about remodeling, you need to start by finding a good contractor. A professional contractor will be able to point you in the right direction in terms of what rooms you should remodel first. Typically, they will advise that rooms like bathrooms and kitchens are done first so they are finished up first and you don’t have to be without them for too long. If you are needing home remodeling, look to the team at Legends Roofing. We are here to offer residential roofing in Dallas, TX, plus interior and exterior remodeling. Just like you wouldn’t call anyone but a professional to add attic insulation, you shouldn’t call anyone but a expert contractor for a home remodel. Contact us at 214-321-3293 to make an appointment.